If you’re like most people, you have at one time or another thought about losing weight. When you think of health professionals who can help you lose weight, you might think about a dietician, a personal trainer, or even a doctor. But have you ever thought about seeing a naturopath? As a qualified and experienced naturopath specialising in weight loss, I’m going to share with you some of the ways in which naturopathy can support you to safely and effectively lose weight. Of course, you should always consult a health care practitioner before making any changes to your current diet or lifestyle.
What is naturopathy?
So you might even be wondering, what is naturopathy? It is a traditional system of medicine focused on natural remedies including herbal medicine and nutrition, among other things. Naturopathy was once seen as witchcraft, but has recently had a facelift and modern day naturopaths now utilise the most up-to-date scientific research to support their use of natural treatments. Naturopathy is popular because it is safe, effective, and often causes less side effects than pharmaceutical medications.
Why should I see a naturopath for weight loss?
If you’re wanting to lose weight, a naturopath is a great choice for many reasons. Naturopathy is all about treating the patient as an individual and as a whole person. This means that rather than focusing on one aspect of your health, you’ll be treated holistically. The human body is complex and multi-faceted, and when it comes to problems with weight there is usually more than one cause. Often, health care professionals will treat one cause, and after weeks or months of little or no results you are left discouraged and disheartened. Treating holistically ensures that all aspects of your health and your weight are investigated and nothing is ignored or missed. In this way, naturopathy ensures that you have the very best chance at losing the weight and living your healthiest life yet.
You’ve tried a thousand diets already, and you’re still here reading this blog post about weight loss, right? Naturopathy provides a long-term approach to weight loss, so you can lose the weight, improve your health, and maintain that for good. No more dieting!
Some surprising factors that can influence your weight loss.
You might not be aware that the following factors can significantly affect your weight and/or efforts to lose weight. A good naturopath will help you to identify and correct these issues, and thereby help you to shift the weight for good!
- Your digestion plays an important role in weight loss. If you regularly suffer from bloating, constipation, diarrhoea or stomach discomfort, chances are your digestion is a little under par. If your body is not able to digest and absorb the goodness from the food you’re eating, your weight loss efforts may be thwarted. Think of poor digestion like a car with an oil leak – you can put the very best fuel in the car, but with a leak you’re still only going to get half as far!
- Your blood sugar is a term to describe the way in which your body processes sugars. Extreme blood sugar imbalances often lead to diabetes, but you can also experience mild to moderate blood sugar imbalances, usually without even knowing it! Symptoms can include shaking or mood changes when you’re hungry, headaches, sugar cravings, and anxiety or anxious tendencies. Blood sugar imbalances lead to weight gain via a cascade of hormonal interactions including insulin and cortisol (your stress hormone). Without addressing blood sugar imbalances, you may find it is very difficult to lose weight.
- Stress levels are often high in todays society. We are living in a fast-paced, busy world! When you’re stressed, your body produces a hormone called cortisol to help your body adapt to the stress. Unfortunately for us, cortisol actually encourages your body to store fat, particularly around your middle section! This means that during periods of short- and medium-term stress, when you eat meals, your body is signalled by cortisol to store the fat from that meal on your body, rather than burning it up as energy. So stress = weight gain! Without addressing your stress levels, you may be missing a giant piece of the weight loss puzzle.
- Naturopathy is a safe and effective system of medicine, backed by scientific research.
- Weight loss is very complex, and can only be successful when treated holistically and individually. By ignoring certain aspects of your health and weight, you may find weight loss efforts are completely unsuccessful.
- Naturopathy can help you to lose weight by addressing all underlying causes and factors, thereby helping you keep the weight off for good!
And if food cravings are holding you back from staying consistent with your eating habits, click here to download my FREE food cravings guide.